Tuesday, May 6, 2014

{Urban Outfitters} Inspired Geometric Pendant…who knew lights could look so good!

Uh, so, in case you didn't notice, I've been AWOL the past couple months.
  
I won't bore you with the details of my lengthy disappearance, but will simply just say that my family really appreciated my full attention these past few months {and I really enjoyed giving it to them} but I am more than ready to get back to blogging and project..ing!

Which brings me to...

My son's bedroom, which up until recently was pretty much just a box with a bed in it.  Very sad.  Very uncool! 

Which is unfortunate, because Carter's a pretty cool kid...
{except for when he encounters a spider}
so I was feeling the pressure to perform with these lights.  I knew they would have to be pretty awesome to get his stamp of approval.

And then I came across this pendant light on  UrbanOutfitters.com
and I knew I had found my inspiration.

They aren't' ridiculously priced at $69, but I needed two {one for either side of the bed} and didn't want to eat up $150 of my already tight budget.  So, I decided to try and make my own for a fraction of the price.

My DIY version of this geometric pendant{s} cost about $20 {per light} to make…and actually ended up looking equally as cool as the original.  Initially, I had planned on painting the lights gold/brass, similar to the color pictured above.  But once the lights were complete I kinda loved the copper.  I think for a teenage boys room it was the right choice over the gold.




I think I might actually have a crush on these guys.  Carter may be starting to catch on as I stop and admire them every time I pass by his room.   I mean, it's kinda hard not to stare at them, right?

And for those of you interested in kicking up your cool factor, I will be posting a tutorial on how to make these in the next day or two.  You'll be surprised at how easy it is to be cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave comments, but please keep your spam to yourself. Spam scares me.